Learn How To Remove Onion Smell From Hands After Cooking
Onion is the basic ingredient used in foods to give them a unique taste and flavor. However, the problem with onion is that various kinds of chefs most of the time struggle hard to remove the smell of onions from their hands after cooking. The cooking lovers throughout the world will be delighted to know that while learning the basics of cooking they can learn the basic tips to become a professional cook.
Learning the basics of cooking includes lots of things, even the methods to remove smell of onions are a part of these basics. Although onions are an important ingredient in every food, working with them is troublesome. They make you cry while you cut them and the strong smell of the onion is difficult to remove. Through this article you will get to know few tips which help you get rid of the smell.
Everything in a kitchen seems to be easy till the chefs don’t have to chop onions. The thought that one has to cut onions brings water to their eyes. However, since onion is a basic ingredient every cook of the family, or a chef or a professional cook has to deal with lots of onions every day.
If you are also one of them then you need not worry about the smell of onions now. In this article the reader finds few effective tips which can efficiently remove onion smell from one’s hands.
A Trace of Onion
The odor of onions is due to the presence of compound known as alliins. Amino acids in the form of alliins and a compound named thioallyl are responsible for the strong odor of the onions. The moment the onions are chopped, these compounds get mixed with the substances in the air and produce the odor.
Due to enzymatic reactions, alliin is converted to allicin. Allicin further gets converted into compounds of sulfur. As we all know, sulfide compounds have a strong smell. The awfully strong smell of these compounds is the reason behind the bitter smell of onions after they are chopped.
Getting rid of the Smell
Onions not only enhance the taste of any dish but are also good for health. The antioxidants they contain are really beneficial, but the smell is unbearable. However, the pungent smell of onions stay in your hands for a long time even after your cooking is over.
Given below are a few tips which can help you get rid of the smell of the onions:
- It may sound unusual, but the smell of onions can be removed if you rub your hands against any utensil made of stainless steel. You should rub the steel for a few minutes under running water. Since, odor of onions contain molecules of sulfur, they react with metal when rubbed and neutralizes the smell. This technique works like a charm to help you get rid of the strong smell.
- Vinegar also has lots of benefits in this case. Few drops of vinegar if taken on your palms and rubbed vanishes the smell from your hands. Apple Cider Vinegar is used by most of the people for this purpose. Although, the reason behind using this specific vinegar is not known, but it works very well.
- If you don’t have vinegar at your home, no need to worry, there are other options too. All of you must be having mouthwash at your home. Pour few drops of the mouthwash and keep rubbing your hands until the smell has gone.
- For getting rid of the smell of onions, you can wet your hands and add a pinch of salt and rub your hands. This will remove the smell from your hands. Make sure that you moisturize your hands since salt is harsh for your hands, it dries up your hands. Baking soda can also be used to rub the hands.
- Coffee grinds are also effective to fight the smell of onion. Try it out and see the result of these coffee grinds.
- Scrubbing your hands with sugar gives your hand a sweet smell. Therefore, after you cut onion, wet your hands and rub sugar in it. Scrub your hands till the smell is gone.
- Toothpaste is really effective in giving guaranteed results. The gel based toothpaste are not good for this, the fluoride based toothpaste are the ones which work. Fluoride based toothpaste are best in removing onion smell from your hands.
- Peanut butter or butter is rubbed in your hands can effectively remove the smell from your hands. Although the solution is a bit greasy, but you can even lick your hands after you rub it with butter. The greasiness can be washed away with the help of soap.
- Dip your hands inside a tomato juice for a few minutes. This removes the smell of onion.
- Lemon juice can also be used to remove onion smell from hands. Lemon juice is strong and it also quickly removes the smell from your hands.
- Oatmeal can also be rubbed in your hands after you chop onions. Celery will also do if you do not have oatmeal. Chop some celery and rub it in your hands for better results. The juice of celery if rubbed is also effective to remove the smell.
- Shampoo is another option and is also easily available at everyone’s house. Take some shampoo and rub it in your hands till lather comes up. Shampoo can help you get rid of the strong odor of onions.
- Alcohol based hand sanitizer can also be used to remove the smell from your hands. Normal sanitizers may not be that effective but if the sanitizer has an alcohol base it can work well.
- A very common thing found in every kitchen is the dishwasher liquid. Few drops of this liquid if used to wash your hands can easily remove the strong smell of onion from your hands.
- Mustard can also work well to remove the smell of onion from your fingers.
- Potato is also really helpful in removing the smell of onions from your hands. Cut a potato into two halves and squeeze the juice from the potato by rubbing your hands. Continue to rub the hands till the smell is gone.
- Mint leaves can also be used to fight the aroma of onions. So rub the mint leaves into your hands till they get crushed completely and the juice flows from the leaves. The aroma of mint overcomes the smell of onions.
- Aloe very is also really helpful. Bring one aloe vera leaf, break it and then rub it on your hands. The thick pulp inside the aloe vera removes the smell and also heals and moisturizes your hands.
Lots of solutions have been mentioned above to remove the smell of onions. Although, onions are very necessary to give a delicious flavor to any dish, the smell of the onions can remain in your hands for a long time. Make sure that you look for a solution to remove the smell as soon as possible. The longer you stay with the smell, the harder it will be to remove it. The tips mentioned are really effective in removing the smell of onions. Therefore, now no need to struggle with the smell of onions.
Health benefits of onions Onions are considered healthy for us since they contain an anti-oxidant which is known as quercetin. Quercetin are also found in apples and teas but the antioxidant from onions are absorbed by the body easily. The absorption of the anti-oxidant is twice and thrice better than tea and apples respectively. There are other benefits of onions as well. These benefits make onion an inseparable part of cooking.
Few health benefits of onion include:
- Low calorie and sodium content
- It has negligible fat and cholesterol content
- It is also a rich source of fiber
- Colon cancer can also be fought by these onions.
- Cardiovascular diseases can also be escaped
- Cold, flu, cough, nosebleeds and many more can be fought.
- Many bacteria and diseases caused by bacteria can be fought by eating onions
- Effective in reducing high blood pressure
Cooks all over the world have agreed that onions not only make their food tasty but also have lots of health benefits. The health benefits of onions are so many that the strong smell can be overlooked. Nowadays, where staying healthy is a huge challenge for people, they must prefer having healthy food.
Onion is one such healthy ingredient which must be consumed for a healthy life. The chefs and cooks can go through an oil guide for healthy cooking. This guide has complete information about the oils which are healthy for our health. Apart from onions, one must prefer healthy oils also to make the food overall healthy. Therefore, choose onions and healthy oils to cook mouth-watering healthy food. The only problem with onions is it strong pungent smell which can be solved if the cook chooses to follow any of the above mentioned solutions.